Feedback: Cloudflare decreased site performance
I've been trying out Cloudflare on one of my more recent WP/Elementor sites.
I ran some tests with Google PageSpeed Insights straight out of the box without Cloudflare integration, and found that the site performed okay considering the load.
I was excited to see what performance the integration would add.
I was disappointed to find that immediately after integration, performance dropped slightly. I asked the tech support team if there was anything I needed to do to optimize. They spent the next couple of days looking into it. At one point, Cloudflare seems to have disabled my mobile navigation menu. CW support fixed that up!
Today, I found that the site was not loading properly due to Cloudflare 530 errors. Again, I contacted support and verified that Cloudflare was the problem.
I disabled Cloudflare and reset the DNS settings and found that performance increased slightly after disable.
I'm sure there are other benefits to using Cloudflare, but I could never ascertain what they were. As this is a cost-added option now (unlike the free CloudwaysCDN, which always seemed to work fine), I will not be using it on my sites unless somebody can explain to me a significant advantage I have overlooked.
Thank you for listening.
Before Cloudflare install: 34 mob / 82 desktop
After Cloudflare install: 31 mob / 77 desktop (inconsistent)
After Cloudflare install +1 day: 29 mob / 75 desktop (inconsistent)
After Cloudflare install +1 wk: 32 mob / 79 desktop (inconsistent)
After Cloudflare disable: 34 mob / 82 desktop